It’s time for Nightstand Books!
(Meme created by DJ Edwardson and Jenelle Schmidt; sharing the books on our “nightstand” the first Wednesday of the month.)
I can never be sure how much I’ll end up reading in a month, but here are some things I’d like to read in January, or soon, at any rate. 😉 (All titles link to the books on Goodreads, if you’re curious to check them out!)
- The Heroes of Tolkien by David Day — A gorgeous book I got for Christmas from a very dear friend! ❤ I’m so looking forward to reading this, and looking at all the pretty pictures. 😉
- A Matter of Magic by Patricia C. Wrede — Technically, I’ve read the second half of this. …Say what now? That is, it’s a collection containing Mairelon the Magician and Magicians’ Ward, the latter of which I read (and reviewed) at the beginning of LAST year and was one of my top favorites of the year. ❤ So I’m hoping to read the first book finally, and maybe re-read the second while I’m at it. XD Because Regency Fantasy and humor and Mairelon!
- Mind Writer by Mike Lynch and Lisa Godfrees — I KNOW, I’ve been saying I’ll read this for ages; but I will! It’s just very outside of my reading comfort zone and the size keeps daunting me and I have no idea why… But it’s on my read-soon list.
- (Not pictured: I just re-read (aloud) The Stroke of Eleven by Kyle Robert Shultz to my younger siblings. Yes, I did read it last month already; your point? XD Now that they know the spoilers — aaahh! — we’re currently reading Christmas in Talesend together too, and it’s so fun. :D)
Those are the ones I really want to read this month.
The other three on there are Christmas presents which I would so like to read soon, but we’ll see if they happen this month or if review-reading takes priority and these end up moving to February.
- The Midnight Queen by Sylvia Izzo Hunter — This is also Regency Fantasy and I know absolutely nothing about it besides the genre, so we’ll see if I like it. XD
- The Diamond Thief by Sharon Gosling — This is a YA novel set in the Victorian era (and may be slightly steampunk? I’m not sure.) about a jewel thief girl and a detective. That’s all I know about it but I’m really excited to try it out. 🙂
- The Icarus Hunt by Timothy Zahn — Again, this may be in danger of not-getting-around-to-reading-it-for-awhile-due-to-genre. Because I don’t actually love Sci-Fi all that much and have to be in the mood for it because 99% of the time I’d rather just read fantasy?? BUT it’s Timothy Zahn (I liked his Star Wars trilogy I read years ago; much better than the new depressing movies, which are fun but dark) and Jenelle speaks highly of this book, so. I’d been wanting to get it from my library for ages but it’s now labeled MISSING in their system so I gave up and got it for myself for Christmas because I want to read this!
My current to-reads in e-book form… (Which is why I suspect I won’t get to all of those physical ones this month. XD)
- Disowned by Sarah Addison-Fox — The lone review book I didn’t get to before November hit, and thus has rolled over through NaNo and Christmas season and now awaits me in the new year. I’m quite excited for it! 🙂 (Especially since the genre it falls under has recently been named. Because I’m weird like that and love being organized and categorized. XD)
- The Last Motley by DJ Edwardson — I’m in the middle of this one right now and it’s excellent so far! The writing is fabulous and I’m sooo intrigued by this fantasy story! o.o I’m reading it for review, so expect to hear all about it on this blog sometime in the coming weeks!
- Presumption and Partiality by Rebekah Jones — So excited to read the final Vintage Jane Austen book! I’ve loved all the books in that series by different authors thus far, so I’m really looking forward to this one! Plus, it’s a Pride and Prejudice retelling. Has to be a fact in its favor, there. 😉
- The Lord of Dreams by C. J. Brightley — This is the Fellowship of Fantasy book of the month for January, and I’m excited to try it out! It sounds intriguing! ^_^ (I’m always up for Faeries!)
And since I didn’t do a post like this in December… here: have a belated couple of pics of my December nightstand! 🙂
- I finally read On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness! *is so proud* Now I know about Peet the Sockman (EEP!) and HAS ANYONE ELSE SEEN THE ADORABLE SHORT FILM THEY JUST RELEASED?? It’s so so cute and I loved watching it and NEED MORE and also that singing bit absolutely SLEW me. SO GORGEOUS. ❤
- The Stroke of Eleven was mindblowing, of course, as I mentioned in my review. I DON’T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH MYSELF, HALP.
- Rulers and Mages was a very interesting read, which I hope to review soon. I’m torn about a certain ship though… *shifty eyes* And a couple things. But otherwise it was mostly really good, and faeriiiiie things! 🙂
- And a couple of random fantasy Christmas-esque stories, Hogfather by Terry Pratchett, and a collection of dragon Christmas stories called We Three Dragons. All of which I enjoyed.
I don’t always share all the short stories I read, but these were so cute together! Links: Nyssa Glass prequel (Christmassy!), Dreamings and Muses, Ceaseless, Distorted Glass, Christmas in Talesend. I enjoyed them all. ^_^ (Yay, more Christmassy things!)