Look what came out today! A delightful new novella from Hope Ann. 😀 Read on for my confused feels which I’m throwing together and calling a review. XD
Title: Healer’s Bane
Author: Hope Ann
- Date read: March 28, 2019
- Rating: 4 stars?
- Genre: Gaslamp Fantasy / Novella
- Age: YA
- Year pub: 2019
- Pages: 178 (Kindle)
- Series: No
- Fave character: Lael
- Source: The author
- Links: Goodreads • Amazon • Author’s Website
5 thoughts on Healer’s Bane
I have MANY FEELINGS about this novella and I don’t know quite what they amount to so . . . I’m just going to throw them at you. XD
1. It was sooo mysterious and spooky, with an intriguing gaslight sort of feel, mixed in with a smidge of dystopian-type feel, with the rebellion and so on. The fantasy bits were woven in well, with the mysterious healing powers and the Poisoner (URGH) and the star-mists and everything. It’s sort of a shadowy, gritty setting but felt EXTREMELY vivid. Everything was quick and punchy and made it work in the small space.
2. We have a small but vivid cast of characters. Kynet, our no-nonsense but compassionate heroine. Her hot-headed brother Nayn, who runs the revolution. Street-orphan Ean with the Scottish accent. And a certain mysterious character who is all spoilers but is AWESOME and my fave! (Definitely my favorite part of the story.) And of course a villain or two. 😉 Villains aside, I loved them all! They definitely sprang to life in the course of this small story. And their snark and banter was fun, naturally.
3. It’s terribly interesting and edge-of-your-seat, and you never really know exactly where it’s going, but it’s fun too. So I really enjoyed it in one sense, while in another sense it was a smidge more dark/creepy than I generally like to read (though I didn’t mind as much as I thought I might?) and then there’s an . . . er . . . awkward fact. I kept being constantly afraid that this or that—no, THAT—character was going to die any second, so I wasn’t exactly SURPRISED buuut there was a death that was Not Okay and I’m sort of upset. BUT ALSO it was almost beautiful/okay—almost—and I’m not sure why I’m not MORE upset and giving out two-stars all over the place? It’s more like I’m mildly sad so maybe it worked well? So I’m essentially rather confused about my reactions because that death and the darker aspects would normally mean I’m a disappointed bean, but I still think it was really fascinating and rather fun most of the time. SO. I think it might be because it’s a novella.
4. ANYWAY, I have all these confused feeliiiings and I don’t know what I think. But yes, it’s a fascinating and exciting and fun and spooky story, and I loved the feel and the atmosphere even if it was creepy sometimes, and I liked the characters even if I’m rather upset about the thing that happened. I am all confusion. XD
5. But if it sounds like an intriguing story to you, and you like a gaslight sort of setting and a rebellion against the corrupt government, fabulous sibling relationships, an adorable orphan boy, a mysterious courtly awesome chap, and healers and poisoners and secrets and plots and aaall the feelz, do give this little novella a try! 😀
Thanks to the author for the Advance Reader Copy! All opinions are my own.
Okay, this looks REALLY cool. The setting sounds like something I could totally get into! But character death…noooo!!! So sad! I know character deaths need to happen sometimes buuuut MEH. I’m sorry it confused your feels. *hugs* But it does sound like a cool story!
I’ve been meaning to read a Hope Anne story for AGES and still haven’t. GAH. I fail. One day. ONE DAY!
Thanks for the review! This definitely looks like something I’d enjoy. ^_^
LikeLiked by 1 person
Yesss, I think you’d love the setting and things!! I think it would be right up your alley. 😀 Eheheh yes, mah feels. XD Thanks!
If you do, I totally recommend The Stealthmaster’s Shadow because it’s my fave!! 😀 (And Twelve Dancing Princesses ish.)
Aww, you’re welcome! Thanks for readiiing, and yes, I think you’d like it! ^_^ So much to reeeead!
Pingback: Book Ishness/News! (April 2019) | The Page Dreamer
Oooh, I need to reread this one! I beta read it and then forgot it existed…. 🙂 It’s very good and I enjoyed your review!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Yesss! That’s so awesome! 😀 And thanks so much! 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
Pingback: Beyond the Shadowed Earth by Joanna Ruth Meyer (Review) | The Page Dreamer